What's surprising is my new outlook on business travel. Before you came along, I would make the most of this travel - often extending my trips for long weekends to see my good friends in these cities (of which I am lucky to have many). Now, I'm in and out - quick trips so I can get home to my sweet baby boy. Yesterday was a daytrip to SF for a meeting in the city, and as it turns out, one of my favorite SF events was happening this weekend: the North Beach Festival, and every one of my friends would likely be there (aside from the two who have newborns).
I considered staying the weekend for just one minute...until I quickly decided that nothing compares to you. I'm just not ready to give up my weekends with you, even for a free fun weekend in my favorite city with great friends. So after an outstanding brazilian steakhouse dinner at Espetus Churrascaria (highly recommended for anyone who loves beef) with a few of my favorite people in the entire world,
I was anxious to get home...until I saw the madness at SFO.
United Airlines entire system was down and no flights were going out.
Hundreds upon hundreds of people were sitting inside and on the curb looking helpless and pissed. The scene was ridiculous.
Panic ensues. It's amazing how my seemingly much smaller brain (now, post-baby) jumped into creative problem solving mode. Hopped on the phone with w+k travel (best ever, by the way), and learned that there were no available flights out of SFO the rest of the night - everything was booked. We fought tooth and nail for a cab and sped to OAK on a hope and a prayer that we could snag the last 3 seats available on a Southwest flight. Just 5 minutes before the cutoff, and before we arrived at OAK, I got word that we were locked into the flight. Hallelujah! I did a very serious happy dance, cab driver was not impressed.
So bye bye palm trees...
and amazing food...
Hello, free in-flight cocktails (helped soften the blow just a bit):
And home at last!!
The thought of being away from you, stuck in SFO, literally made me sick to my stomach. But Thank God I was home by 12:30a and daddy pulled in the driveway with my baby shortly after that.
Eventually, I'll be able to leave you for longer periods of time. But for now, one day (or one night) is just about all this heart of mine can handle.
| REWARD |


No comments:
Post a Comment