Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mama Bear Realized

Before I had you, I wondered what it would be like to be a mama bear. I had heard from friends that it is the most selfless feeling of dedication, loyalty and perseverance you'll ever experience. A few situations recently have brought out the mama bear in me - now, I always knew it was there. It's true what they say, once that baby is in your arms, your world changes and suddenly there is nothing more important than keeping that tiny human safe, protected, healthy and happy.
It's no secret we haven't been the biggest fans of the new school we switched you to in January. Our beloved Forbes Day School moved out too far from home/work and we had to switch schools. While on paper the new facility is fantastic (music, spanish, healthy menu) and you are very happy there, your daddy and I have fundamental issues with the way they talk about their jobs as caregivers and the kids in their care. After months of listening to these women refer to the kids with the most offensive and cruel 'nicknames', and complaining about their rough days with all of these kids to us upon pickup/dropoff, I had finally had enough. I don't want my child surrounded by negativity and tension, I don't want my baby boy to hear anyone calling him anything other than sweetie, cupcake, pumpkin (tsunami sawyer or tyrant sawyer were their favorite), and I certainly disapprove of him hearing them call other kids 'bratty'. Unacceptable in my book. And my book isn't everyone's book, but it's mine, and I'll enforce it without apology.
While I pride myself on my ability to resolve conflict in a mature and structured fashion (Steve can attest), this was one of the first situations where I was weary of confrontation - mostly because I am so emotionally invested. I realized quickly that I couldn't separate fact from emotion. Our issues were subjective and came from a place of our parenting philosophy - and every family has a different approach and hard lines.
Finally one morning (after being up since 5am with 4 shots of liquid courage...aka espresso...coursing through my veins) it was time. I dropped him off and these teachers didn't seem happy to see him, in fact they immediately started with the negativity and offensive nicknames. After a few passive aggressive comments (my specialty), I was out the door. Fuming mad with heart pounding on my way to work, I decided it was time. The call wasn't easy, but it was fair and I approached it the best way I knew how. The answer was no, they don't believe Sawyer has behavioral issues, or any other issues for that matter (no kidding, eh?), he's just a "busy toddler boy", and they have "cute little nicknames" for all of the kids at school. I was able to communicate our issues with the nicknames in the context of what, in our opinion, is for the betterment of Sawyer and his well being. And that was it, ever since this chat, they've held back on the nicknames and have generally been a bit more sweet and pleasant. Now, we're no fools, I'm sure the nicknames continue when we're not around - we know better than to think we're powerful enough to change them.  But we stood up for our little guy and let our parental presence be known.
Coming out of this seemingly mild but impactful experience, I had the opposite feeling I thought I would. I thought I would be fearful of offending them, making the situation awkward, or not feeling justified in my position. In fact it was the exact opposite. I felt strong, protective, 100% justified and proud as hell. I was standing up for my little boy who couldn't speak for himself. I was...a mama bear, in the flesh. Amazingly, I don't know that I've ever felt so secure, proud and comfortable in this skin. It felt right, it's what I was born to do, and I will continue protecting you and standing up for you until the end of time. I'll see that you have nothing but the best and I will always, always be here for you little guy. Thank you for showing me a new perspective, a new side of myself. You continue to teach me so many lessons, and for that I am grateful.


PS: We are in the process of looking for a new school. ;-)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great post. Definitely a motherhood fear of mine, so I am inspired by this story. Thanks for sharing!

kelsey c. said...

go mama bear go! proud of you. you are such a good mommy. and yes, switch schools!
love,
another mama bear