Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Welcome: Sawyer Lee Sizemore

Well, baby. You are now 2 weeks old and my how time flies. I've had your blog on my to do list each day since we brought you home. I had no idea I would have my hands so full (of LOVE!). So, we're going to try this: blogging from the blackberry. It's what we have this thing for, right? Apologies in advance to your readers and fans for any spelling or grammatical errors. We're learning how to operate on less than 10% brain capacity and spell check and vocabulary has taken a hit in this parenthood bit. Forgive us. Onward...

First, it probably goes without saying, but we are completely and utterly in love with you, little guy. We are so happy you came out a BOY, just as we knew you would. You will make a great Junior head of household and we're elated to have an older brother for #2 someday. You are so sweet and so strong at the same time. From the moment we met you and the doctor put you on my chest, you were lifting yourself up, doing pushups and crawling to the feeding zone. The nurses watching over you in the nursery could not get over how funny it was to see this tiny day-old baby crawling around in his bassinet. They had to watch you because you kept moving around so much, arms and legs just pushing your head and body up and all around your bed. It's like you were showing off, and knowing your daddy, this is entirely possible. You also entered this world one HUNGRY hippo. It must've been your appetite that inspired the instant crawling, because you wanted to eat right away.
Everyone was so excited to meet you. In the room when you were delivered: Daddy, Aunt Lori, Aunt Tracy, Grandma Humphries, and waiting very impatiently outside the door: Uncle Cam, Grandpa Humphries, Uncle Will, and Aunt Amber. It was your daddy who delivered the news that we had a baby boy Sawyer, and I instantly started crying tears of joy. I was so happy that 22 hours after you knocked on the door to let me know you were ready, here we all were, at 12:24am on Feb 1st, welcoming our tiny baby boy. When you came out, all I remember was such a burst of emotion. In that instant everything I knew about myself changed. I became a mom, with no idea what that meant except it was better, way better than 1 second before I met you. The doctor held you up and every ounce of my being and my soul screamed MINE as I reached out my arms - I couldn't get you next to me fast enough. I'll never forget that euphoric feeling when you fell onto my chest. I always believed in love at first site, but this feeling was on another level. I am a changed person, so blessed and honored to be your Mom. I've never been a super religious person, but at this moment I had to thank God for this tiny miracle. More to come when I can write up your birth story, but dang, baby, we are so happy you are here and really can't imagine life without you.

Here's what that moment looked like:

In the first two weeks, you have already gotten so big, and now you're really starting to wake up.

At birth you weighed 8 lbs, 7 oz.
At one week old: 8 lbs, 12 oz.
At two weeks old: 9 lbs, 4 oz.
That's right, lil monster. You're gaining on us!

Also, at your 2 week appt, you are in the 95th percentile for weight (that's right, big boy!), 75th for length, and 25th for head circumference (well, we'd rather have a baby with a small head than one with a huge melon).

Here are a few milestones from these first two weeks:
+ lift your head and abdomen up off the ground to look around the room
+ uses legs to hold self up (with assistance)
+ turns head to mom and dads voices
+ when you go to feed, you shake your head like crazy to the right and left with a wide open mouth
+ you love to be bounced on the exercise ball
+ when fussy, you just want to be held and walked
+ your mommy loves to rock you and cuddle with you on her chest
+ your daddy can hold your entire body on just his forearm, you love this for soothing a tummy ache, he also changes your diapers in record time
+ you love your Grandma and Grandpa Humphries - you nuzzle in Gma's neck while she sings to you, and you lay on Grandpa's belly while he rocks you
+ in your 2nd week, you've started showing us your satisfaction while feeding by cooing and making tiny adorable noises after each gulp
+ you smile at least 3 times a day. While we know this is probably gas, we can't help but believe that it's you telling us you're happy as can be
+ when burped, you rest your head on your hands and look as peaceful as can be. You also love to move your head around and slam your mouth into our cheeks - it's like a really hard kiss, we'll take it.

In the last 4 days, you've started to wake up and remind us that your lungs are strong and well developed. The good news is we can almost always attribute your crying to something. Doesn't mean mommy and daddy can fix it, but at least we know why. Our favorite is when you're not crying (duh) and are wide awake. You have the most beautiful big curious eyes and are always checking out the world around you. We can't wait to see what you'll look like and who you'll become. In the meantime, we are loving this tiny person and are so grateful and blessed to have you in our lives, one very happy (and incredibly sleepy) family. :-)

Also, big shout-out to the Grandparents. Your Grandma stayed with us for 5 days when we brought you home from the hospital. And here in the 2nd week your Grandpa is watching over you. Both have been a God send, helping feed mommy and daddy while we tend to your needs. These two have helped soften the blow of bringing home a newborn and we are so insanely thankful and blessed to have our family close and willing to help.

Go Team Sizemore!










3 comments:

kelsey c. said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE

and you will LOVE looking back and reading all this. keep it up, even from the blackberry. they change so fast, and you forget all the details...going back later to read it is so fun!

love u!!!

Anonymous said...

Sooooo happy for you both. I keep saying it. But thanks again for sharing all of these special moments with us. What a wonderful year this is for the Sizemore's. I feel very blessed to be a part of it all. I got a little teary eyed even reading this. I have turned into such a girl. I agree with Miss Kelsey. You will love to go through and read this later. And little Sawyer Lee will love to hear stories about when he was little when he gets older. Amazing!

XO

ljjhiggins said...

Kimmy~ This just melted my heart and brought tears to my eyes. It's a beautiful thing to watch a person you love experience all the wonderful things motherhood brings into your life. I am looking forward to mommy talk and snuggles with you and baby Sawyer very soon. I love you and am so proud and happy for you and Steve.
Cheers to the next chapter!