Monday, May 16, 2011

this blows

on this, my final day of maternity leave, I am overwhelmed with emotion. I cannot believe how much I have come to depend on you. Which is funny, because obviously in most cases, the baby depends on mama. Sure, you love to cuddle on me, and I make you laugh, and we have SO MUCH fun together, but truth be told, today this very last day of special time for you and I, and it is gut wrenching to leave you. Your daddy has tried to sympathize, he has asked me what it's like, and the best I can describe is knowing, that in just a few short hours, your right arm will be cut off. Yes, this is dramatic,  but if I'm being honest, this is how it feels. Not my left arm, my right arm, the one I write with. It will be gone, and I'm preparing for how to live life without this integral part of my world.
I just have to tell myself that you are strong and independent, and you will thrive in this new environment. These women will take the best of care of you and you will NOT call them mama (or they are forbidden from telling me if you do). This is one of the hardest things I've ever done, little guy. But in the long run, I pray and hope that it will be the best for us both. I love you, and these last three and a half months have been heavenly, there are no words. Please don't forget me.
I love you, fella.

1 comment:

Bobbi said...

They never forget, sweetheart. And as we move through life, we say good-bye to one beautiful stage as we embrace the sweetness of the next. And so it goes... Seems like just yesterday I took you to the day-care for the first time so I could return to my scheduled life of other responsibilities. I cried. Your cried. And our reunion at the end of the day was all the sweeter. And the next day, it was easier. Warm blessings to you all! Love, Grandma!