Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Great Grandma

Watching you with your Great-Grandma this past week has been the highlight of my life.
Before you were born, we decided that we loved your Great-Grandma so much, we wanted to name you after her.  In May of '10, we visited her in Tennessee, and I had hoped this trip would be the one where we got to tell her that I was pregnant and we were going to name our baby after her - I had a dream of seeing her face light up with excitement.  We would name our first born Ruby, if she were a girl. Unfortunately, I didn't know that I was pregnant while in TN (was only 4 weeks at the time), so this announcement never happened.
Still, you were of course a boy, so plans had to change, but this should stand as a testament to our adoration for your Great-Grandma Ruby Sizemore.  She was a positive motivating force in your daddy's life, and to this day I have never seen your daddy's eyes light up the way they do when she is around. He even brings back his southern twang when Great-Grandma Ruby is around, and I find this completely 100% irresistible. She is more than family - she is a legend, Rosie the Riveter, she built ships, she was a welder, she tells stories about how she traveled the west coast in a covered wagon, she has seen women earn their rights and has seen the invent of the phone, TV, and internet (she doesn't even necessarily understand what this blog is all about).  She was one of 14 children and had 4 boys who were the apple of her eye (one of her sweet boys is your dad's dad). She adored you, and the feeling was quite obviously mutual.
You are a social dude, smiling at most people, but with her, you were different. You really loved to stare at her and listen to her sweet voice. Her voice would break your fuss and calm you instantly - you would follow her around the room and reach for her the minute you saw her. It warmed my heart to see you two together and I am absolutely elated that you had an opportunity to meet this woman - she truly is an angel, and this is no exaggeration.  I was pretty obsessed and snapped a thousand pics of you two. Here are a few of my favorites...









No comments: