As I had some time to kill at the San Diego airport today, I was perusing the airport store and ran across this ridiculously adorable bear. I immediately thought of Sawyer and how much he'd love it. Without question, I snatched up this tiny fortune and put him in my suitcase. About halfway through my flight home, the typical routine set in. I started to get giddy, started imagining walking in the door to Sawyer running to greet me with that sweet smile, arms wide open and plenty of stories about his day on the tip of his tongue. I SO look forward to this every time - coming home is the BEST part of business travel. The cutest thing is that sawyer is obsessed with airplanes and seems to completely grasp the concept of my packing my suitcase (which he's obsessed with) and getting on an airplane. This boy loves his planes.
I decided to start a new tradition. At the end of every business trip, I'll get him a present from wherever I am, I'll put it in my suitcase, and let him fish it out when I get home. This is what I did tonight and he loved it. He loved getting to open my suitcase on his own and search out his new toy.
I love that I get to make up whatever new traditions I want. I forget sometimes that I can, and should do that. And why not create a little silver lining to these trips? I also love the symbolism of bringing him back a treat from my travels, because he's the reason I deal with last minute travel and being away from my family - so I can build a better future for him.
This kid is about to have a lot of San Diego and San Francisco swag.

No comments:
Post a Comment